Dermaplane is a non-invasive procedure that removes the skin’s top layers. It is also a skin treatment that aims to achieve smooth, youthful, and radiant skin. Most people get the procedure on their face, but it can be performed anywhere on the body.
How Does Dermaplaning Work?
Like shaving, dermaplaning also has the basic concept, but the former uses a razor, while the latter uses a scalpel-type blade to eliminate the presence of hair, dead skin cells, and other debris on the skin’s surface. The skin’s top layer may appear dull as it continues to expose to UV rays, environmental toxins, and irritants. In this case, dermaplaning is an ideal treatment that gets rid of the skin’s top layer to reveal newer skin cells, making the skin appear smoother and glowing.
What To Expect From The The Dermaplaning Procedure?
The practitioner or dermatologist, given their appropriate training and a valid license, can perform skin resurfacing procedures like dermaplaning. When performed by a professional, dermaplaning is a safe procedure that requires very little preparation. Before the procedure, the face needs to dry completely, while a gentle cleanser with alpha or beta hydroxy acids is used to help loosen dead skin cells.
During the procedure, a sterilized 10-gauge scalpel will be used, which the professional will hold at a 45-degree angle to the skin. The skin will be pulled tight while the blade will be used to create short motions aversing the grain of the hair on the skin. After the procedure, the professional often applies a moisturizer to the skin prior to providing them with a post-procedure care guide.
It requires little downtime, if any, after a dermaplaning treatment. Patients will not need to take time off work, and they may even be able to fit their treatment session in during a lunch break. In fact, dermaplaning can be done as frequently as every 2 weeks.
How to Prepare Before The Procedure?
Prior to the procedure, a consultation must be done to discuss the skin characteristics with the provider before performing a dermaplaning treatment. This discussion will help the professional determine the skin type and color, as well as collect any medical history relevant to the treatment.
Once the treatment is scheduled, the patient is advised to avoid sun exposure for at least one week before the treatment, as skin damage or burns can lead to irritation and prevent pain during the procedure. Those with acne will also have to consider that. This is because significant acne may cause further skin irritation or tears since the blade can go across the raised bumps.
What Are The Benefits Of Dermaplaning?
Below are the known benefits of dermaplaning:
- Enables better product absorption. When creams and serums are applied to the face, they must penetrate the top layers to benefit the skin entirely. Dermaplaning removes the top layer and dead skin cells, which means the product can penetrate more deeply. The makeup can also be applied more smoothly.
- Removes peach fuzz. The delicate soft hairs on the face will be completely removed with dermaplaning, leaving the skin clear and soft. In fact, sebum and dirt can get stuck in this fine hear, leading to breakouts.
- Reduces the appearance of acne scars. Dermaplaning has helped many patients reduce the appearance of depressed acne scars.
- It gives lovely soft skin. The face will feel incredibly soft and smooth.
- Reduces the appearance of lines and wrinkles. Likewise, many swear by dermaplaning for giving more youthful skin with less noticeable fine lines and wrinkles.
- Enhances radiance. Removing the dead skin cells eliminates dullness and experience a more radiant complexion.
- Non-invasive and minimal recovery. This isn’t a complex cosmetic procedure, and the benefits will be beneficial within a few days. No chemicals are used.
- Suitable for most people. The good news is that all skin types can use dermaplaning safely.
Who Should Not Receive The Treatment?
Dermaplaning isn’t recommended for those with inflammatory skin conditions such as:
Those taking isotretinoin, a prescription medication used to treat severe acne, should wait 6 months after they stop taking it to try dermaplaning.
What Does The Recovery Look Like?
Typically, no downtime is required so that patients can resume regular activities immediately following treatment. The treatment is said to remove up to 3 weeks of dead skin cells from the skin’s outermost layer with temporary results. However, results typically last up to three weeks, but with a proper skin care regimen, they may last up to 4 weeks.
How To Care For The Skin After Dermaplaning?
In dermaplaning aftercare, the skin treatment highly features skin protection from sun exposure. The professional should apply sunscreen immediately after the treatment. The patient will then need to ensure sunscreen (with at least SPF 30) is on every time outside, even on cloudy days, for several weeks.
Also, the following aftercare tips are recommended:
- Avoid the sun.
- Use fragrance-free moisturizers.
- Avoid too much heat for three days.
- No need to exfoliate since dermaplaning is already an extreme exfoliation itself.
- Don’t swim into a chlorinated pool or hot tub for at least a week after the treatment.
- Avoid exercising for 24 hours.
- Don’t wear makeup for 24 hours.
- Avoid other treatments for at least two weeks.
The dermaplaning professional should explain the aftercare procedure thoroughly. Aftercare ensures one gets the best results for as long as possible. Also, the following are a must:
- Make sure to cleanse the skin daily, using only water or a very mild face cleanser.
- Pat the face gently with a towel to dry it rather than rubbing it.
- Moisturize it and use a serum.
- Choose creams and serums rich in hyaluronic acid and vitamin C.
Dermaplaning is like a turbo-charged exfoliator that diminishes peach fuzz and dead skin cells, leaving a brighter and smoother face. Belle Visage Medical Aesthetics offers Dermaplaning, a skin resurfacing procedure that uses a surgical blade to manually exfoliate and remove the outermost layer of skin and fine facial hairs. Ultimately, dermaplaning reveals smoother and softer skin and promotes the absorption of skincare products, meaning your regular beauty routine will be more effective than ever.