Teen aesthetics refers to the particular style and visual preferences popular among teenagers. Understanding teen aesthetics is important because it plays a significant role in how teens express themselves and form their identities. Understanding teen aesthetics can help parents and educators better relate to and support the teens in their lives.
What Is Teen Aesthetics?
Teen aesthetics involves a combination of fashion, makeup, hairstyles, music, and other cultural elements associated with a particular “look” or vibe. Teen aesthetics can vary widely depending on factors such as geography, subculture, and individual taste.
Teens are drawn to specific aesthetic styles because it allows them to express themselves and communicate their identity to others. Aesthetics preferences can be a way for teens to signal their membership in a particular social group or subculture or to distance themselves from others who don’t share their tastes. Aesthetics preferences can also help teens feel safer and more comfortable in their own skin since they can use style and appearance to create a sense of belonging and self-expression.
The Influence of Social Media on Teen Aesthetics
Social media significantly influences teen aesthetics, allowing teens to discover and share visual content related to their preferred styles. Platforms like Instagram and TikTok are particularly popular among teens, allowing them to follow and interact with influencers and other users who embody their desired aesthetics.
This can create a sense of community and validation around particular aesthetic preferences. However, social media can also lead to an unhealthy focus on appearance and unrealistic beauty standards, negatively impacting teen mental health and self-esteem.
How To Support And Encourage Teen Aesthetics?
To support and encourage teens’ aesthetics, fostering an environment that values individuality and self-expression is important. This can involve:
- Encouraging teens to experiment with different styles and aesthetics without judgment or criticism.
- Providing resources and support for teens to explore their interests, such as fashion magazines, music playlists, or art supplies.
- Having open and honest conversations about the importance of self-expression and creativity and how aesthetic preferences can be a valuable tool for communicating one’s identity.
- Encouraging teens to be confident and comfortable in their own skin and reminding them that their worth is not tied to their appearance.
- Celebrating and validating teens’ unique sense of style and showing interest in what they are passionate about.
- Supporting teens in their skincare journey by encouraging them to establish a consistent skincare routine that includes gentle cleansing, moisturizing, and sun protection.
How Can Teens Look After Their Skin?
Teens can take care of their skin by following a consistent skincare routine. Also, many teen skincare treatments are available to help with common skin concerns such as acne, oiliness, and sensitivity. Some examples of skincare treatments that may be suitable for teens include:
- Acne treatments– Many teens struggle with acne, and there are a variety of medical treatments that can help reduce breakouts and improve the appearance of the skin.
- Laser hair removal– Some teens may be interested in laser hair removal to reduce unwanted hair on the face or body.
- Cleansing facials- These facials involve deep cleansing, exfoliation, and hydration to help improve the appearance and health of the skin.
- Dermabrasion or chemical peels– Chemical peels remove dead skin cells and encourage skin renewal by applying a chemical solution to the skin. They can effectively treat acne, reduce scarring, and improve skin texture.
- LED light therapy– This non-invasive treatment uses different light colors to address different skin concerns. For example, blue light therapy can help kill acne-causing bacteria, while red light therapy can help reduce inflammation and promote healing.
- Microneedling– A minimally invasive procedure involving using a device with small needles to cause micro-injuries in the skin, stimulating collagen formation and improving the formation of fine lines, wrinkles, and acne scars.
- Eyebrow shaping– This can help improve the appearance of the eyebrows by shaping them to enhance the natural beauty of the face.
Teens and their parents must consult with a qualified aesthetician or dermatologist before pursuing skincare treatments to ensure the treatment is safe and appropriate for the teen’s skin type and concerns. Many medical spas now offer teen aesthetics services specifically designed to support teens in achieving healthy, clear, and vibrant skin.
How Does Teen Aesthetics Services Work?
Teen aesthetics services work by providing specialized treatments and services designed to address teenagers’ unique aesthetic concerns and preferences. These services may include skincare treatments, makeup application, hair styling, and fashion consulting. Teen aesthetics service providers may work in specialized salons or spas or be independent consultants who work with clients one-on-one.
The services provided may be customized to the individual needs and preferences of each teen client, with a focus on enhancing their natural beauty and promoting self-confidence. It’s crucial to note that certain aesthetic procedures aren’t appropriate for all teenagers and should only be explored with the supervision of a skilled specialist.
Essential Considerations For Teen Skincare Routine
Here are some additional factors concerning teen skincare routines:
- Importance of sun protection– Educating teens about the importance of sun protection and encouraging the use of sunscreen can help prevent damage to the skin and lower the chance of developing skin cancer later in life.
- Identifying skin type– Understanding one’s skin type is key to developing an effective skincare routine. Teens should be encouraged to learn about their skin type and choose products appropriate for their needs.
- Incorporating healthy habits– Teens should be encouraged to acquire good practices that promote their skin health, such as drinking lots of water, eating a balanced meal, and getting adequate sleep, in addition to utilizing skincare products.
- Addressing specific skin concerns– Teens may have skin concerns such as acne, hyperpigmentation, or dryness. Recognizing and addressing these issues can help kids feel more secure and at ease in their skin.
- The role of stress– Stress can significantly impact skin health, so teens need to learn how to manage stress and develop coping strategies that can help keep their skin looking and feeling its best.
By supporting teens in their exploration of aesthetics and beauty, adults can help promote a sense of empowerment and self-care that can benefit teens throughout their lives. Belle Visage Medical Aesthetics provides Teen Aesthetics Services for clients of all ages, including teens, as teenage years can bring about new concerns with changing hormones, acne, and other skin conditions — all of which can lower self-confidence and have detrimental effects in this crucial life stage. Ultimately, our expert team can assist and educate teens struggling with skin and provide preventative services, problem-specific treatments, and prescription skincare.